What are the admission requirements for Sam Houston State University?
1st Year ABC Candidates: Click this link for info about specific ABC requirements.
Admission to SHSU for the Master of Arts (M.A.) Conducting Track:
- For admission to an SHSU master’s program, the University requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.5 or 2.8 on your last sixty hours of undergraduate coursework
- Supplying of all OFFICIAL transcripts of college-level as well as transcripts of graduate work from any institution where work for credit was done, including a transcript showing the date the undergraduate degree was conferred.
- Assessment by ABC graduate faculty via major projects and one-on-one advising.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation sent to SHSU via the admission process.
- Program 2-part entrance exam (Music Theory and 30 areas of Band-related Areas of Mastery) required on June 19.
- Those whose Music Theory score are too low will be required to do a retake of that exam in December of the same year.
- Those whose scores in Band-related Areas (transposition, literature, fingerings, intonation problems, percussion rudiments, embouchures, etc.) are too low, must take additional stem courses to improve knowledge in the area and will be required to attend an additional summer unless end-of-2nd-year evaluation by ABC graduate faculty indicates sufficient improvement to remove that extra year.
NOTE: If you are receiving financial aid, you MUST make sure that all financial aid requirements are done.
- Contact the Admissions Office at (936) 294-1971 or email@example.com. (Main contact is Mary Pascarella)
- Once the Admissions Office approves your file it is sent to the School of Music.
- Contact Kevin Clifton (School of Music Assoc. Director) at (936) 294-1393 or kmc053@SHSU.EDU