What can I expect to be on the entrance exams?
- INSTRUMENT fingerings
- PITCH tendencies on instruments
- SYMPHONIC band literature questions
- OVERTONE/partial questions
- REHEARSAL diagnostic questions
- INSTRUMENT diagnostic questions
- EMBOUCHURE questions on different instruments
- NOMENCLATURE questions
- PERCUSSION rudiment questions (snare technique)
- TRANSPOSITION questions
- JAZZ technique/style questions
- STANDARD music theory (aural skills, listening exams, scales, intervals, chords, etc.)
To help get ready for the entrance test, you can purchase the American Band College study set.
You can also create your own questions via the Quick Test Generator at our online testing software called Ultimate Pursuit (Practice).
The entrance exams are offered one time only:
Band-Related Entrance Exam from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on June 19, AHS Theater
Music Theory Entrance Exam from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. on June 19, AHS Theater